Monday, July 31, 2006

Angie

My patient that I previous wrote about died on Thursday. The day after we buried my grandfather. I hadn't seen her for a few days. I tried calling up to the hospital, but I couldn't get much information. On Thursday morning my friend Linda called me to tell me that they were going to take her off of life support. So I woke up right away and got dressed as fast as I could and drove to the hospital. I wore my work clothes since I had to work that afternoon. I got there just in time as they were taking the breathing tube out. I think she may have been gone before that. She never took a breath after the tube came out. She died about a minute later. I stayed with her and her family a little while longer. Then I asked the nurse caring for her if I could help wash her up. So a co-worker and I stayed. I wanted to wash her up. My co-worker Sue, I think was staying for my benefit, though I know she cared for her, I think she knew I was having a hard time. Everyone loved Angie. I think helping clean her up was a good way for me to say good-bye. I think also it gave her family a little comfort that someone that deeply cared for her was still taking care of her after she was gone.
Later on after, Sue took me to get some chocolate therapy. We got 2 large hot chocolates and sat outside. It had just stormed.
The storm was a little wierd in itself. Angie loved storms. And as I was walking into the building prior to her passing, it was lightly raining. No storm yet. I got to the 3rd floor and walked in to her room as they were taking the tube out and outside the window you could hear thunder and see lighting. The storm was at it's max. It was pouring down rain and a full blown storm when she passed. A few moments later, there was peace. No storm, no rain. Clouded over, but the storm had stopped. Angie's mom thinks it was her leaving this world. And the way the storm happened at just that moment, I believe it. The rest of the night it stormed. I was at work, but I sat for a bit in an empty room and watched another fierce storm come in. The next day it turned out to be more than some needed. It flooded in my home county of Lake county. Pretty severe too!
I sat in that room and thought of her and something her mom said. Angie's mom told me that maybe Angie and my sister Missy are already friends in heaven. That made me smile. Angie and I talked about my sister during the months that she was in the hospital and I think that she will pass on to my sister a good message from me. I would say that my sister is having a busy week greeting people in heaven. My grandfather and Angie. I'm laughing at myself because I just thought of my patient and friend Marcus that died 2 years ago. I told him before he died that he had to stay away from my sister in heaven , because I knew him and he would hit on her. He always laughed at this. He would tell me that he was going to spend his days looking at beautiful woman in showers. I just thought now that I should've warned Angie about him:) He was great and I miss him at times too. I know all of it sounds a little silly, but it gives me comfort thinking that those I love and had cared for are together in heaven. If they remain the people they were, I know that my sister and Angie would get along great. And I know that Marcus would get along great with them. I know that Missy had my grandfather Chester for a long time with her. So that always gave me a comfort that she wasn't alone. And we all adored him, so I know she was in good hands.

No comments: